Friday, October 26, 2012

Great Article in Yoga Journal

I read a great article in the September 2012 issue of Yoga Journal that I wanted to share.  I have issues with my lower back and I have had several people in my Thursday night Yoga class that have mentioned that they have issues as well.

The article is entitled "Primer on the piriformis" written by Doug Keller.  It is all about the piriformis that is a primarily an external rotator that rotates the leg outward at the hip.  The article goes on to explain that it is notorious for causing sciatic pain.  If you have ever had this issue I would highly recommend this article.

The article includes a diagram of the muscles, nerves and joints in this area and gives three different yoga poses that are helpful in creating a healthy piriformis and a pain-free back.  The three poses are standing forward bend, tree pose and pigeon pose.  We did tree and forward bend last night at Yoga.  I will have to add pigeon pose next week. 

Below is the link to the article.  If you have any trouble linking to the article, let me know and I will make you a copy.

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2849

Always check with your Dr. to make sure you don't cause further injury before you start any exercise program.  My chiropractor, Dr. Jimmie Williams, helped me get back to the point that I could run and practice Yoga again and as long as I practice Yoga several times a week, my piriformis seems to be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment